Thursday 16 November 2017

A Ridiculous Project

Do you know how many stations are in Greater London? That's Underground, Overground, DLR, Tramlink, TfL Rail, National Rail and Cable Car stops (basically, anything on the London's Rail & Tube Services map).

A couple of weeks ago, the seeds of an idea formed in my head. Had anyone, I wondered, been mad enough to visit every station in Greater London? Probably, I reasoned; that's not particularly crazy. However, I'll bet no-one's done it... alphabetically.

So back to the original question. Turns out there's 598 of them, from Abbey Road to Worcester Park. And I'm going to visit them all. When I say visit, I mean visit; I'm actually going to get off the train/tram/cable car and leave the station, to see what's around, what sort of environment the station sits in. You never know, I may even write about it.

As you may have guessed by now, this will not be a quick project. However, I'd like to get it done by the end of next year, 2018 (which is very optimistic I know!). I'll be documenting my progress on here and on Twitter (what do you mean you didn't know I have a Twitter account?), so you can follow my gradual breakdown in excruciating detail.

I'm hesitant to put a start date as I rarely seem to be able to stick to them, but provisionally this is going to kick off on Friday 17th November. See you at Abbey Road...

No comments:

Post a Comment